Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Lucky Dube, RIP

I just found out this morning that Lucky Dube, a giant in world reggae, was killed in front of his children in an apparent carjacking this past Thursday. He came out of South Africa, but his impact was truly global. What a waste--what a loss.

When I was doing work for WFHB in Bloomington, I got a chance to review his last album, called THE OTHER SIDE. The title track to that is brilliant--seek it out if you have a chance. Not finding that on the global jukebox that is YouTube, I offer another clip to get a sense of who he was and what he was on about.

1 comment:

thaber said...

This song you posted is incredible, it really gets me thinking what I would do for my country. This freedom fighter who leaves his home, his girl and ends up saying "I'm still here in the house of exile, for the love of the nation." I feel that push of patriotism on certain days that makes me want to go join the military, but on other (and most) days it's more of I'm pretty comfortable where I am. Which bugs the crap out of me knowing that some people gave up so much so I could feel that way.

It's a shame that Lucky Dube can no longer make these thought provoking songs. I'll def check out his music.