Saturday, October 27, 2007

Apple gets another pound of flesh

All right. I did it. I ordered the 10.5 OS. I was pissed when they released 10.4 soon after we got our Mac....It was one more reason for L to be convinced that Apple was an expert in sucking users dry rather than crafting elegant hardware. (This leads to at least one "fun conversation" w/ my brother, who gets his paycheck from Apple, during any given visit to AZ....but I digress...)

I remember being floored as a colleague of mine in school was so INTO getting his 10.4 in the mail....Like it was opening night for a film he'd been waiting YEARS to see....I can recognize the need for upgrades, and even the need for paying for it...But it still made us miserable that this $1000+ machine we'd bought seemed already....out of date. This must have been what the folks who didn't wait for the Video iPod felt like. Or the folks who saw the iPhone price plummet. Still, Apple stock continues to go through the roof, and my bro (who gets stock options as part of his gig, to the best of my knowledge) continues to wax rhapsodic about Steve & Co.

I guess there's something to it, because I just ponied up over $100 for the new OS (maybe we can work out some of our surfing bugs this way? maybe???).....But I do it with a sense of inevitability and even resentment, rather than excitement.

Here's a link to Apple's "guided tour" of the new OS: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Me, I hope I don't crash the hard drive upon installing....Computer Love, indeed....

3 comments:

CityBoyBlue said...

Shows how much of a music nut I am, as soon as I saw you write Computer Love indeed, I seriously went "The video's Kraftwerk." before I even watched it. Anyway, that's cool, I'm actually looking into getting a Mac laptop now, seeing as my Dell one just suffered a HDD meltdown, plus it's so old an beat-up, it might be better to just get a new one.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
We are researchers at the University of Texas and University at Buffalo working to better understand people's blogging behavior, and you are an ideal candidate to help. We would like very much to hear from you, and would greatly appreciate your time and willingness to respond.

Without your help, this kind of research would be impossible.

Please take a few minutes to read and answer the questionnaire on our research Web site: http://omega.uta.edu/~cyjang/blogsurvey/. It should take about 10 minutes of your time, and your answers will be very valuable.

Your identity will be protected because responses will be coded to provide anonymity; No personal names will be used. Of course, this is voluntary- by completing the survey you give your consent to participate. If you have any questions about the study or the questionnaire, please do not hesitate contacting us at your convenience. In the near future, we will be happy to share our results with you.

Thank you.

Chyng-Yang Jang & Michael Stefanone
------------------------------------------------
Chyng-Yang Jang
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication
University of Texas at Arlington
P.O. Box 19107
Arlington, Tx 76019, USA
cyjang AT uta DOT edu
(+1) 817-272-4142


Michael Stefanone
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication
The State University of New York at Buffalo
359 Baldy Hall
Buffalo, New York 14260
ms297 AT buffalo DOT edu
+1 716-645-2141

David Shapiro aka Grizz said...

enjoy ur new Mac
i hope you and L get to use it and email ur family in other parts of this great world

-Chyng-Yang Jang