Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"Could you describe the RUCKUS, sir?"



This fall my COMM 399 course on popular music is going to be using the legal download service RUCKUS--currently available for free for BSC students, $8.99 / month for faculty. It'll serve as a shared music database for the course, meaning I won't have to force my students to buy a CD of Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love--the 33 1/3rd book will have to suffice!

I got the service up and running for myself yesterday, and so far find myself gravitating to a) albums / songs I already own, but have "locked up" in box currently in our storage room, like Tindersticks or b) obscure remixes from bands I've liked for 25 years, like Talk Talk. So far not a whole lot of exploration, but a lot of aural "comfort food."

It makes grading finals go down a little bit easier, dig?

1 comment:

sahm, phd said...

Takes me back to the days when you used to hole up in the attic of the department with primitive online radio, CDs, and a big bottle of Cloke to write papers... :)

FYI, I'm now up and blogging at http://tcks.wordpress.com

Lori