Thursday, February 14, 2008

Spike delivers, students out in force!

Spike Lee took the BSC stage by storm last night--in a Giants Super Bowl sweatshirt! Spike was enjoying giving Pats fans the business--still on a high from the game the other week. (Want to relive the nightmare? Check this out, and note the gentleman in the Strahan jersey--WARNING: CONTENTS OF THIS VIDEO MIGHT STILL BUM OUT PATS FANS.)



We got the nonsense taken care of early, and spent the vast majority of the time talking either politics or film...I wonder how many students might have been nudged to register as a result of last night?

It was fascinating to hear themes coming up in classes this term being worked through in this public forum: race and politics, how to get into filmmaking, the evolution of Malcolm X, stereotyping, the importance of pre-production strategic planning....and yes, even Spygate!

We had a lot of solid questions from the community (including several current and former students of mine, he said proudly), and a great turnout overall. In fact, the turnout by my students was phenomenal: nearly two out of three students in my five classes this semester (64.8%) will be receiving their extra credit for being there last night.

Spike Lee showing up to talk on a Wednesday night? My friends, that's what a college education is all about. Brilliant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also just left a post about Spike Lee. He had some very insightful lessons to teach and I am so glad I went to see him. Not even as far as the extra credit is concerned, but I just feel like I took a lot away from that experience.