Friday, July 24, 2009

Nothing cleans the palate like a good KISS lip-sync video

COMM 229 goes in a slightly different direction today, as we talk about fan-created videos--discussions surrounding doglover199709 and her Katy Perry video point to other preadolescent hijinx.  Which leads me to my next skeleton in the closet--my KISS fandom.

I will just say that as an enthusiastic 4th grade fan of KISS, I did not understand what they meant when they sang "You pulled the trigger of my... love gun!"  That is too blatant to even call it a double-entente.  That is what you gotta call a single-entente--hilarious in its crude artlessness, which is I guess why I still like KISS, despite it all.  

There is another Bjorn Ingvoldstad (well, Björn Ingvoldstad) I have met over the web (yes we're related--a 3rd or 4th cousin in Sweden), and he's sent me video his son has made of his son & buddies IN FULL KISS MAKEUP doing a lip-sync video for "Detroit Rock City."  This is SWEDEN in 2009 for God's sake.  I attach it here--the best stuff is actually the curtain call in the last minute.  Amazing.

And if I had the technology back in 1979, I would have done the same thing.  I hope!  To mix my 70s rock references, for those about to rock, we salute you....

2 comments:

Dr. Bjorn Ingvoldstad said...

Whoops! I forgot that intro was DRC, but they're actually doing LOVE GUN!!! That is so awesome it's poetic.

James said...

These are some talented people for making this video. No offense, but younger individuals making a fan video for a song is never that exciting. This one instance was very entertaining though, well done in every aspect. It seemed like young KISS members or a really good cover band. The fact that they are so young and could do all the makeup/special effects like that is amazing. The Gene Simmons tongue thing at the end was gross but done very well. I loved how they used the Guitar Hero: World Tour drumset, and the fake guitars looked awesome. I agree that the end is the best, with the fire shooting out of the guitars and pretty steady camerawork. The makeup was untouchable and the syncing of the audio and visual was perfect. The lipsyncing seemed real and I could barely tell how young they are. Detroit Rock City is one of my favorite KISS songs, and the movie made with the same title is hilarious. If you haven't seen Detroit Rock City yet and you're a fan of KISS, make that #1 on your must-see list.