Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening day: radio on!


Despite my utter failure to research my fantasy baseball team adequately this spring, I've still been fizzy all week in preparation for the start of the baseball season.  Heck, I even watched the first half-inning of the first game of the year: the defending champs from Philly gave up a two-run homer in that first frame, and lost 4-1 to Atlanta.  I'm not even an NL guy, but it was BASEBALL, darn it!

Truth is, though, it's really hard for me to sit and watch a game, at least on TV.  For me, baseball is much better experienced on the radio--I enjoy picturing it in my head even more than seeing it with my eyes.  What that says about me I do not know.  After some AM searching, I found the Philadelphia station (1210 on the dial, for those of you keeping score at home), and listened to a few middle innings while doing dishes.  I even caught a little more via the web after I was done....

Radio on the web--great idea.  Major League Baseball continues to have a subscription deal where for $15 you can access home and away radio broadcasts of all games (including archived games) for the year.  You can stream TV too, but for me that's $15 very well spent.  It's all good.  I can follow the Twins, keep up with the Indians, even see if something funny is going to happen with the Cubbies.  Talk about multitasking enablement.

So if the Red Sox manage to get their game started this afternoon, I'll probably follow the same pattern: the opening inning on TV, but then slip over to the radio as I work on something else.  Maybe even... taxes?


1 comment:

Quirk said...

70's hair and mustaches were so brutal. there should be a rule instated in the mlb that you have to have terrible hair or an awesome mustache. "never trust a man with just a mustache"